Many MDS competitors are more motivated when they run for charity.
The MDS organisation team encourages running for a cause and has always worked on setting up projects in partnership with other associations:
• eight solar pumps have been installed,
• distribution of school materials in isolated villages,
• development of a school in Taright, with a toilet block and solar heated showers,
• construction of an artisanal complex for women in Jdaid, with a workshop, school, kindergarten, meeting room, kitchen,
toilet block and dispensary.
MDS has recently created the association SOLIDARITE MARATHON DES SABLES..
Its welcome structure in Ouarzazate was officially inaugurated after the finish of the 25th SULTAN MDS, in the presence of Mr Abdeslem Bikrate,
Governor of the Province and Mr M’Jid, President of the M.J.I.D. Foundation (Moroccan Foundation for Young People, Initiative and Development), official sponsor of the project, as well as several partners and financial supporters.
The centre aims to promote the teaching of fundamental and universal values through sport from the youngest age, raise awareness of hygiene and
safety among mothers and provide literacy classes.
SPORT EVEIL ACADEMIE
(SPORTS INITIATION ACADEMY)
•180 children : from 3 - 5 years EVEIL CORPOREL (BODY
AWARENESS) and from 6 - 11 years INITIATION ATHLETISME
(ATHLETICS INITIATION) ,
• 900 hours’ sports teaching, an original programme for each age group,
• thousands of snacks (fresh fruit, cake, dairy product) served after shower time,
• 3 summer coach trips into the Dadès Valley, with 50 chidren per trip.
FEMMISSIMA, welcome centre for women
Support classes: child education, hygiene and health:
• 60 women members,
• 400 hours of literacy lessons,
• 95% regular attendance,
• Basic maths skills (addition, subtraction, etc.),
• Preparation of micro projects.
And also :
• 7 supervisor jobs created plus 1 caretaker of the site,
• Creation of the 1st symposium on Local and Emergency Citizen-based Medical Care for the provinces of Southern Morocco (defibrillator training).
13 people, sponsored by generous donors, ran the last stage of MDS 2011 to raise funds for SMDS. This charity stage raised over 60% of the budget needed to operate the association.
Web site (french only) : Solidarité MARATHON DES SABLES